Skip to main content
Skip to and open main menu Home Modification Resources
Provided by the HMinfo Clearinghouse
Translating high quality research specific to better design and building practice
Translating high quality research specific to better design and building practice
News/Events Section Menu

What is Home modifications


The person you care for might be able to get help to modify their home. Modifications, such as wheelchair ramps or grab rails, can allow elderly people and those with disability greater independence. They can also help carers.

What are home modifications?

Home modifications involve changing structures, layout or fittings to allow an older person or someone with disability to safely move around their home. Such modifications can:

  • support independence
  • reduce the risk of injury.

Home modifications can also help carers. For example, the use of a grab rail to get out of the bath can save you having to lift the person you provide care for and risk injuring yourself.

Types of home modification

Examples of home modifications include:

  • installing ramps and rails
  • widening doorways
  • altering bathrooms and kitchens (e.g. lowering bench heights)
  • relocating light switches and power points
  • installing emergency alarms and monitoring systems, or smart technology to control lighting and blinds.

The modifications should be done by a licensed builder or tradesperson.

Subsidised home modifications

The person in your care may be eligible for government subsidies, although there may be a fee depending on your income and the type of program. They are often delivered through not-for-profit or private service providers.

An occupational therapist or other health professional may first need to assess the person’s situation and specify the modifications required.

People aged 65 and over

People aged 65 and over or their carers can apply for home modifications via My Aged CareOpens in a new window.

Children and people under the age of 65

The National Disability Insurance SchemeOpens in a new window may fund the design and construction of home modifications as part of a specific, tailored package known as a ‘participant plan’. The NDIS is currently being rolled out across Australia. The NDISOpens in a new window site shows whether it is available where you live. You can also check if the person you care for may be eligible.


The Rehabilitation Appliances ProgramOpens in a new window can assist with home modifications for eligible veterans.

State- and territory-funded home modifications

State and territory governments offer assistance with home modifications for eligible people and carers:

 Service finder

Reads 757 Downloads -