Skip to main content
Skip to and open main menu Home Modification Resources
Provided by the HMinfo Clearinghouse
Translating high quality research specific to better design and building practice
Translating high quality research specific to better design and building practice

How do I arrange a Home Modification?

The Aged Care reforms and incremental roll-out of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) across Australia means that the way people arrange home modifications varies from place to place and will change over the coming years. The HMinfo Consumer factsheet: Arranging Home Modifications outlines the process for arranging home modifications, depending on the type of home you live in and how you would be funding the modifications.

A wide range of services can assist with home modfications in Australia.

Occupational Therapists work with all sections of the community to assist with the design and planning of home modifications.

Access consultants can assist with reviewing an environment to make sure it is able to be used by people with functional problems, including mobility impairment, vision impairment and other conditions that can make it difficult to access the community.

Home Modification and Maintenance Services (HMMS), previously part of the Commonwealth Home and Community Care (HACC) program which ceased on 1 July 2015, is now under the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP). These services provide modification and some maintenance work to people who are frail aged, people with disabilities and their carers so they may live more independently. There are some eligibility criteria that must be met to access these services.

Private builders and Professional trades people are important in the modification industry. Many people can source a private builder but it is important to ask if they have undertaken modification work before.

The HMinfo Service Directory contains a listing of home modification service providers, mapped by location.