Skip to main content
Skip to and open main menu Home Modification Resources
Provided by the HMinfo Clearinghouse
Translating high quality research specific to better design and building practice
Translating high quality research specific to better design and building practice

Why is it that the childrens standards are often not used?

You must be logged in to post in this thread.

Post 1

Posted 8th July 2005 at 5:12 PM
Author Guest
Last Edited 1st August 2006 at 3:52 PM

My sense from the research I’ve done to date is that AS1428.3 is not commonly used to assist in the design of mods for the residential space (?perhaps due to its age and at times confusing recommendations) and that clinical reasoning tailored to the individual situation is preferred.

For instance, there is debate around the position of hand rail heights for children and some therapists recommend the use of anthropometric data to assist in this (eg. AS1428 is developed for the mean height of adults.)

All rails should be measured to the anthropmetric height of the client. and I have found that Greater trochanter height plus 50mm is a good guide, if it is for balance and stability, but you need to make that call, stating the height you prescribe is anthrpometrically appropriate for the client.

Given their likely growth, I would also ensure a child is reviewed regularly!” So I was wondering if you have any thoughts, suggestions or resources on this… especially the research and use of anthropometric data as it relates to a child compared with an adult?

Kind regards,

May Smith

First 1 Last

Back to Modifications for children