Skip to main content
Skip to and open main menu Home Modification Resources
Provided by the HMinfo Clearinghouse
Translating high quality research specific to better design and building practice
Translating high quality research specific to better design and building practice

Shower Curtain Rails

You must be logged in to post in this thread.

Post 1

Posted 9th August 2006 at 11:04 AM
Author joanne.parry
Last Edited 9th October 2006 at 11:43 AM

I have a client who is using a shower curtain rail for support when transfering from standing (with walking frame) to sitting at his bathroom basin. The shower curtain rail is not secured to the ceiling only two walls. I am worried that the amount of weight that he is putting through the rail will cause it to pull out of the wall or snap the screws holding it in place, causing my client an injury.

I am interested to know if anybody has had any similar experiences with clients or if anybody knows of a shower curtain rail that would be strong enough to take the weight of someone using at for support...would a ceiling secured rail be any stronger.

Are shower curtain rails weight limited at all???

Post 2

Posted 24th September 2008 at 9:22 PM
Author Guest

Contact Delway Brass , they custom manufacture shower curtain rails. I am sure they can offer you a solution.

Post 3

Posted 18th November 2008 at 2:11 AM
Author Guest

I'd be very cautious about this - shower curtain rails are meant to take a little weight of a wet curtain, but definitely nothing as heavy as a person.

When I got my shower curtain rail:

http://www.smrbathrooms.co.uk/acatalog/Shower_Rail_Curtain_Rings.html

(the oval one) the staff were very specific about having to screw the legs into a beam or studwork, not just plaster ceiling. Do you know what your client's rail is screwed into? If it's masonry that should help.

Regards, 

First 1 Last

Back to General