Skip to main content
Skip to and open main menu Home Modification Resources
Provided by the HMinfo Clearinghouse
Translating high quality research specific to better design and building practice
Translating high quality research specific to better design and building practice

Reasonable and Necessary

You must be logged in to post in this thread.

Post 1

Posted 14th August 2008 at 12:01 PM
Author amy

Hi all,

I am currently taking over a private home mods case for a compensable teenager. The insurer has agreed to modify the home kitchen so that the 16yo can prepare meals for herself. Whilst they have agreed in principle to the need for a functional kitchen, they have 'assessed' that the following items are not reasonable and necessary, including:

*painting and finishing of disrupted wall/ceiling surfaces

*tiling of splashbacks in the kitchen

*cost of and installation of a rangehood for above the cooktop

*cost of and installation of upgraded lighting over work areas

*they also refused height adjustable workbenches so that the carer and client can both have equally suitable access (was just requesting small area to be height adjustable).

Does anyone have any advice or any references that support the commonly cited rull of thumb that the 'finishings should be equal to what was there before?'

Post 2

Posted 15th August 2008 at 12:01 PM
Author Guest

Hi Amy,

It might be worth looking up the guidelines for the relevant compensable body - usually these are available via the web.

Is TAC ?

Robyn

Post 3

Posted 15th August 2008 at 6:44 PM
Author Guest

I would be interested who was the person who 'assessed' what was and was not necessary, and to view their report and justification for these comments. I am sure you had to justify yours. Also, I would suggest that any builder or person renovating an environement would need to undertake these actions, to comply with waterproofing regs etc. My advise would be to contact Sandi Lightfoot Collins at Macarthur Home Mods on 4655 3263.

Post 4

Posted 31st August 2008 at 3:42 PM
Author Guest

Try the Guide to Standards and Tolerances,

Available from the building Commmision Voctoria

www.buildingcommission.com.au

Arqua

First 1 Last

Back to General