Skip to main content
Skip to and open main menu Home Modification Resources
Provided by the HMinfo Clearinghouse
Translating high quality research specific to better design and building practice
Translating high quality research specific to better design and building practice

Pressure on OT for sign off of mods

You must be logged in to post in this thread.

Post 1

Posted 23rd July 2019 at 9:35 AM
Author LHart

Hello, I am working with a family in Vic,where they have funds in court to use and NDIS money to complete a new bathroom extension on a house.  A building designer , the family and I have met a couple of times, I have poured over the drawings, and in principle it looks to standard and in order. However I am now being asked, or rather pressured, to sign off on the design without seeing a detailed scope of works. The family is keen to get going, and understandably so, but I want to see the scope of works, and the designed says he wont do that until after its gone to tender.

Can anyone offer a solution to this, we seem to be stuck.

thanks

Lesley 

Post 2

Posted 10th August 2019 at 1:19 PM
Author gfinn

As Access Consultants we sign off regularly on design documents for building approvals. For NDIS you might review the documents and if you agree say something like: 

“I have reviewed the documents listed: [list]

and, in my opinion the proposed design is capable of compliance with [list relevant applicable document... eg AS1428.1 clause xxx, and livable housing design guidelines to Xxxx Level” 

i note the following departures: [ list]

and, in my opinion these departures are appropriate having regard to [recipient name] specific reasonable and necessary support”

signed

Of greater concern to me, as an architect, is that the NDIS home mods program seems to have nobody checking to see if consent is required from Council, or whether engineering documents are provided for pulling up chunks of concrete slab to make these bathroom modifications.

seems to me that under qualified people are directing this work, placing vulnerable people at great risk of loss.

Gary Finn

Hello, I am working with a family in Vic,where they have funds in court to use and NDIS money to complete a new bathroom extension on a house.  A building designer , the family and I have met a couple of times, I have poured over the drawings, and in principle it looks to standard and in order. However I am now being asked, or rather pressured, to sign off on the design without seeing a detailed scope of works. The family is keen to get going, and understandably so, but I want to see the scope of works, and the designed says he wont do that until after its gone to tender.

Can anyone offer a solution to this, we seem to be stuck.

thanks

Lesley 

LHart

First 1 Last

Back to General